What if you had a simple, 5-step process to map your story plot in the most important areas you need to clarify before you start writing the first draft?
From 20+ years experience working with editors, publishers, writers, agents and authors, I’ve learned that most writers start their memoir manuscript in the wrong spot.
This is because with personal storytelling, while it’s narrative – like a novel or a fiction – it’s much harder to SEE it as a narrative as a novelist would, because, well – we LIVED the experience.
With personal experiences, it can be hard to separate the stuff we need to write from the most captivating way to tell the story.
But a book is a STORY – and a story needs to take a reader on a journey.
It needs to flow from a cracking start, to a compelling middle, to a satisfying end.
🎵 Much like a song.
And if you want your manuscript to read better than a patchwork of journal entries, it most definitely needs a through-line to the narrative and this comes from a simple STRUCTURE to the narrative.
This is exactly why I created Map Your Memoir – to teach you the 5 principles of how to outline and structure a true story you want to develop into a book-length manuscript. These 5 principles are exactly what sells in the memoir category of literature.
Let me take you through the 5 compelling storytelling principles…
- Your story opening (AKA the ‘hook’ – and what sells memoir when your topic has been covered 1000 X before)
- Your premise or focus (AKA the sentence that will stop you wasting MONTHS writing chapters you won’t need)
- Your two desires (and exactly when one gets revealed over the other… )
- A 3 Act Story Structure adapted to a personal narrative
- Your RELATABLE theme(s), which is how you ensure your story has appeal to a huge audience
I teach you how to pinpoint each of these 5 principles inside Map Your Memoir.
The training bundle comes from one of the foundational lessons inside my comprehensive Art of Memoir programme which takes you from page one to finished draft of a submission-standard memoir.
Map your Memoir is a ‘starter’ course for those who aren’t ready for a 6 month programme and just need the encouragement of a few lightbulb moments to invigorate enthusiasm for the story!
Map Your Memoir will give you insights, tools, and CLARITY on the structure of what makes a memoir compelling, to get you started.
My Map Your Memoir is an outline system I devised to simplify memoir manuscript structure, plot, pace, and the very basic principles to follow for a compelling true story that keeps a reader engaged until the end.
- A 90 minute masterclass where I walk you through the 5 foundational pieces to include in your outline along with examples from bestselling memoirs to give you deeper understanding of the principles
- A comprehensive downloadable guidebook (yours to keep!) with the principles laid out clearly, with all sorts of time-saving tricks, prompts, examples and plug-and-play formulas for each element so you can use these tools again and again in your writing career.
- A Hero’s Journey guidebook to give you an overview of the 12 stage cycle of the narrative framework I recommend for a memoir manuscript
Map Your Memoir gives you a CLEAR and simple process to find clarity on your…
⚡ Story opening (AKA the ‘hook’ – and what sells memoir when your topic has been covered 1000 X before)
⚡ Your premise or focus (AKA the sentence that will stop you wasting MONTHS writing chapters you won’t need)
⚡ Your two desires (and exactly when one gets revealed over the other)
⚡ How to adapt the 3 Act Story Structure to Memoir
⚡ Your RELATABLE theme, which is how you ensure your story has appeal to a huge audience
All of this is delivered to you in a private online course platform. So you can literally log in and start learning from anywhere, and re-play the masterclass as many times as you need! You also get to keep the guidebook which offers templates and time-saving tools, examples and techniques to find your focus sentence, your hook, your two desires, and more.
No need to wait for a live zoom call or wade through a 3 hour meeting for the info you want to learn. It’s pre-recorded, you can download all the material immediately, and keep it for future projects, too!
Want to know more about the 5 principles of mapping your memoir?